Went all out this year on Robyn's Halloween costume. One of the creepy nurses from Silent Hill.
Starting out with a paper mache newspaper and paper towel base I added layers of gauze bandages using the paper mache mixture to adhere and mold the folds.
Between the initial layers I added longer gauze bandages to use as ties to wrap the back of the head.
Time to paint!
Using watered down black acrylic paint I painted over the whole thing making sure to fill in the crevices.
Next I dry brushed a medium ochre over the higher parts of the folds. This pushes back the crevices visually and gives greater detail overall.
Fully dry brushed with the ochre.
Next a slightly lighter version of the ochre on the highest elements.
Now two more levels of dry brushing getting lighter and covering just the highest bits to create better depth.
A little red and black spatters around the eyes and we're ready to go...
Finish it all off with a paint spattered and distressed dress, tights with hand drawn blue veins, and a tea-stained cardboard hat folded using a pattern found on the internet and viola - creepy nurse!!